Embedded Software Engineer - London
Level: Mid / Senior
Reports to: Hardware Manager
Responsible for: Embedded systems
why we're here
Our vision is to be at the heart of every inspiring live experience in the world by creating a powerful, collaborative environment where artists and technologists can bring their shared vision to life.
With an established range of products, we are leading the market in building a software and hardware solution that designs, sequences and controls the most progressive live entertainment and experiences.
Over the last year our products have been placed at the heart of the Grammys; the Brit Awards; touring the world with U2, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga; live events including Coachella and Glastonbury; theatre productions such as Frozen and Harry Potter; product launches for the likes of Nike and Apple; and a growing number of films and live TV broadcasts.
We are a fast-growing company who hire bright, creative, talented individuals across the world to push the boundaries of visual experiences and build lasting relationships with our community.
We are delighted to have featured in the Sunday Times Tech Tracker 2018, listing Britain's fastest-growing tech companies.
See our showreel below, demonstrating just some of the incredible work from disguise.
why you're here
The Embedded Software Engineer reports to the Hardware Manager and works alongside the Hardware, Software and Product teams. You are here to:
- Develop robust and sustainable solutions.
- Design and implement systems
- Improve and maintain existing systems
- Bridge Hardware, Product and Software teams
- Deliver mature product features that are well documented and easily consumed by other teams
what you are here to do
Your role as Embedded Software Engineer is to focus on improvement and development of new and existing embedded systems. The job will bring you across quite a few areas of the product range. Everything from embedded SPI, I2C, USB, UART and GPIOs, linux device drivers and customisations up to hardware abstraction libraries for core software integration. In other words anything from bare metal micros to SoCs all the way up to full blown x86 servers. There are also opportunities for getting involved in IoT projects to serve emerging product portfolios if you have a knack for sending data efficiently over unreliable networks.
You will be responsible for defining and architecting the product APIs from the ground up ultimately consumed by d3 (main software) or exposed to end users for control. These APIs could either be static/dynamic libraries or APIs to embedded services all the way to REST over LAN.
Disguise currently uses Buildroot and Petalinux build environments for different products so experience with embedded tool chains is preferred. Userspace configuration knowledge is required and some kernel mode driver development experience is a bonus.
- MEng/MSc or equivalent experience building and delivering embedded systems or products
- Have seen at least one product through from concept to delivery.
- Strong knowledge of embedded toolchains and principles
- Demonstrated ability to deliver products and solutions on time
- Strong troubleshooting ability
- Strong written technical communication and documentation
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and excel at handling concurrent projects
- Strong team worker and contribute to our 'one team' culture – high levels of cooperation and communication
- Commitment to personal development
- Interest in low-level aspects of computer systems
- Excited to research and learn about unfamiliar topics and sharing knowledge
- Presentation and communication skills
- Excellent Time management and ability to handle multiple projects in parallel
- Experience in our specific or similar industry.
- Background in DSP
- Background in electronics
- FPGA knowledge and understanding
- Experience with BRA/SRAM usage
our employee benefits
We like to celebrate and have fun at disguise:
Gigs policy we give everyone a £400 pa allowance to spend on any show/concert of choice
Annual Summer and Christmas parties which are always great fun!
Socials we like to celebrate, whether it’s going out, a birthday or just a Friday
Fruit, half decent coffee, Pizza days and ice cream in the summer
Our culture we have a great community culture here at disguise and make everyone feel welcomed!
Other benefits include a Health Cash-back plan, office massages and manicures and lots more!
To apply for this role please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com clearly stating ‘Embedded Software Engineer' in the subject.