Lab Technician - UK
why we're here
Our vision is to be at the heart of every inspiring live experience in the world, by creating a powerful, collaborative environment where artists and technologists can bring their shared vision to life.
With an established range of products, we are leading the market in building a software and hardware solution that designs, sequences and controls the most progressive events and installations in live events, concert touring, theatre, fixed installs, broadcast and most recently film.
The disguise product range is now being used in a variety of exciting and innovative ways. 2017 saw our products being used on the 59th Grammys, the Brit Awards, touring the world with U2, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga, product launches for the likes for Nike and Apple, and many more.
We are a fast-growing company who hire bright, creative, talented individuals across the world to push the boundaries of visual experiences and build lasting relationships with our community.
We are delighted to have featured in the The Sunday Times Tech Track 2018, listing Britain’s fastest growing tech companies.
why you're here
This is a critical role to ensure disguise’s continued growth through providing repair and maintenance on existing equipment, as well as, keeping the documentation up to speed on RMAs.
What you are here to do
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Investigate returned products and identify root causes that caused customer dissatisfaction. Develop solutions to correct any product performance issues and perform the work necessary to upgrade product to the most recent performance standards.
- Perform applicable performance tests according to most recent test procedures.
- Help to update the service documentation as required by disguise processes or as required by customer, if applicable.
- Perform maintenance and upgrade service on all disguise products.
- Perform proper re-packaging of product; prepare required shipping documentation in arrangement for logistics of shipments according to final destination in conjunction with Office Administration and Operations teams, including requirements for international shipments.
- Maintain all service documentation and update in defined locations whenever necessary or required.
- Perform work necessary to maintain service and demo workspaces, in order to establish and sustain order and cleanliness at any time, and especially throughout events and presentations.
- Manage the stock of demo product and spare parts, maintaining parts at minimum stock levels and keeping product inventory as low as possible, reconditioning product to be moved out of service into resale or demo pool.
- Perform any hardware or software benchmark comparisons whenever necessary.
- Research and tests of new technologies in form of 3rd party device integration with the disguise product range.
- Accurate and timely completion of time sheets in order to submit invoices in a correct and timely fashion.
- Follow and continuously improve the RMA process with the goal to keep the inventory at low levels, as well as to create an effective process for returning product to the customer within the shortest cycle time possible.
- Provide equipment service at customer locations; service includes, and is not limited to, installation, diagnosing, repair, field upgrades, calibration, and testing that require the use of test equipment and simple hand tools.
- Report quality problems and other technical issues that do not meet customer satisfaction through proper escalation channels.
- Continuous self-development in inquiring expertise in new technology advancements.
- Interface effectively with all individuals to resolve customer problems and situations.
- Work closely with Sales and Operations to relay customer concerns / feedback, as well as assisting with regional promotions and other events.
- Display maturity and judgement in time management and expense control at all time.
- As a representative of disguise, promote and maintain good customer relations through high standards of personal appearance, ethical behaviour, maturity, and good judgement.
- Perform other duties, not outlined in this document, as they become necessary whenever functions and roles in organisations evolve.
- Assist the R&D group in testing, product debug and failure analysis, development of solutions for any given problems with newly developed products
what you need to know
Qualifications, Skills & Experience required
- Diploma/Degree in electronics, computer science, or related training in a similar major.
- Experience in troubleshooting and repair of electronic or electromechanical devices.
- Good working knowledge of computers, electronics, and electromechanical devices.
- Must have a solid background in computer hardware and software as well as substantial knowledge of computer-controlled equipment.
- Experience with implementing and maintaining Windows network and IT systems is a nice to have
- Excellent interpersonal skills focused on customer and team success.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with individuals at all levels inside and outside of the disguise organisation.
- Accountable for providing support to customers that meet disguise’s standards of superior quality service and professionalism at all times.
- Excellent spoken and written English with good communication skills required.
- Must always put safety first and operate according to local safety requirements (PAT Testing - Portable Appliance Testing Directive, etc.) and with a common sense in being safe and keeping others safe.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs / 16kg
- Good listener, ability to help the team shine and excel in their roles.
- Lead by example, foster a kind, helpful, team-winning attitude.
- Positive about change; flexible and adaptable to work effectively in our fast-paced environment.
- Strong team worker who will contribute to our ‘one team’ culture – high levels of cooperation and communication.
- Energy, drive and resilience.
- Passionate about creating a customer service-based mentality, both internally and externally.
- Professional, enthusiastic and fun.
- Friendly, approachable and helpful.
- Honest, discreet, trustworthy.
- Proactive and able to work on own initiative.
Travel/work in other company offices (UK, NY, Hong Kong & Shanghai)
Industry experience a plus
To apply for this role please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating ‘Lab Technician - UK' in the subject.